Connect with us

Celebrity News

Veteran Actress Cynthia Shange Dies, South Africa Pays Tribute

Published

on

Photo: Instagram

South Africa is mourning the death of  Cynthia Shange, who passed away at the age of 76 after a brief illness. Her death was confirmed by her family, with her daughter Nonhle Thema sharing a message on Instagram.

With a heavy heart, I share the news of our Dear Mother  please keep my family in your prayers during this difficult time

The announcement triggered tributes from across the country’s entertainment industry.

In 1972, Cynthia Shange made history as the first Black woman to represent the country at the Miss World pageant during apartheid, after winning Miss Black South Africa. After pageantry, she transitioned into acting, starring in uDeliwe in 1975. She appeared in productions such as Muvhango and Shaka Zulu.

Photo: Instagram

Read Also: DJ Warras Has Passed Away

The minister of Sport, Art and Culture Gayton McKenzie, released a statement,

Cynthia Shange was a barrier-breaker for black people and for women at a time when both were systematically excluded from global platforms. She stood where many were told they did not belong, and in doing so, redefined what was possible for generations to come. Her legacy is one of courage, dignity and unapologetic excellence.” 

Filmmaker Aubrey Senyolo spoke about her her contributions to South African cinema and her impact on the Miss World pageant on a global stage.

Photo: Instagram

Shange had previously spoken about  her battle with diabetes. She had lost five toes to gangrene and escaped leg amputation.

Despite these problems, she remained one of South African respected personalities and received numerous awards, including lifetime achievement honours. She remains present in the public eye despite personal health difficulties.

Photo: Instagram

The response to her passing shows how much Cynthia Shange is loved. The tributes from social media and public figures show a woman with a long-lasting legacy.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

70 − = sixty seven
Powered by MathCaptcha

Celebrity News

French Montana Is Heading to South Africa This December

Published

on

Photo: Instagram

French Montana is coming to South Africa this December for two headline performances marking the launch of AFROTRAX, a new live entertainment series. The US rapper will perform in Cape Town and Johannesburg on December 4 and 5.

French Montana will be at The Ostrich in Cape Town on Friday, December 4, 2026. The event will run from 2pm until midnight. 

He will then travel to Johannesburg for a second performance at The Canvas on Saturday, December 5. 

Photo: Instagram

AFROTRAX is a new live entertainment platform that aims to connect Africa’s creative community with international entertainment. The two concerts will officially launch the brand, with French Montana being the headline act. 

Read Also: Shannon Benting Set to Compete at Miss Supranational 2026 in Poland

The organisers are presenting the concerts in partnership with PLAYY. Music. They have promised fans premium hospitality experiences. 

French Montana, born Karim Kharbouch, has worked with top artists. His songs include Unforgettable featuring Swae Lee, No Stylist featuring Drake, Pop That featuring Rick Ross, Drake and Lil Wayne, and Writing on the Wall, which features Cardi B, Post Malone and Rvssian.

Photo: Instagram

The organisers described the launch as an important moment for the new platform. They said: 

“AFROTRAX represents a new chapter in African live entertainment. Launching the brand with French Montana is a significant milestone for us and the beginning of something much bigger,” 

More details about the events, including additional programme information and other announcements, will be released closer to the December shows.

Continue Reading

Celebrity News

Tyla Receives SAMA32 International Achievement Award, Calls for a Unified Africa

Published

on

Photo: Getty Images

Tyla received the AfriPure International Achievement Award at the Sun City Superbowl on Saturday, August 15, 2026.

In 2024 Tyla won the award, but did not attend the event. She and Black Coffee have won the International Achievement Award twice. In her acceptance speech, Tyla said:

Hello, South Africa!, I can’t even explain the feeling I have right now standing on this stage. This is my first time at the SAMAs,” 

Tyla has won two American Music Awards in two categories: Best Afrobeats Artist and Social Song of the Year. 

Photo: Getty Images

Ready Also: Tyla Set for AfroNation Festival Performance in Portugal

After the award was presented, she invited Makhadzi, Cassper Nyovest, Zee Nxumalo, Maglera Doe Boy, Langa Mavuso, Babalwa M, Lordkez, and Xduppy to share the stage with her. 

Tyla described African music and culture as rich and said she was grateful to stand on the shoulders of artists who had inspired her career. 

“Our music, our culture is so rich, and I’m so proud of everybody,” 

Photo: Getty Images

In a call for unity, she said

”And I am just so happy to be South African. I’m happy to be African most of all. I pray one day to see a unified Africa. It’s so important,”

At SAMA32, Tyla’s appearance celebrated both her achievements and the wider influence of African music. Her call for a unified Africa added a broader significance to the occasion, showing the importance of celebrating African artists and cultures across the continent.

Continue Reading

Celebrity News

Lamiez Holworthy Rushed to Hospital for Emergency Surgery

Published

on

Photo: Instagram/@lamiez_holworthy

 Lamiez Holworthy-Morule has been taken to hospital where she is undergoing an operation. Her management confirmed the news, saying her condition is not life-threatening. 

The incident has forced Lamiez to put her professional commitments on hold. She was scheduled to attend several events in August, but they are all on hold.

According to a statement from her management, Lamiez required urgent medical attention. However, no details are given.

Photo: Instagram/@lamiez_holworthy

Her management has confirmed that the situation is stable, although time is needed further to recuperate fully. They said:

“Lamiez Holworthy was rushed to hospital and required an emergency surgical procedure,” 

Event promoters, organisers, clients and partners involved in her upcoming bookings will need to adjust their plans following the unexpected medical emergency. 

Read Also: Mihlali Ndamase Wears Plunging Gown for a Beauty Photoshoot

Meanwhile, management said events cancelled will be rescheduled once Lamiez has recovered. The new dates will depend on when she is cleared by the medical staff authorities. Their statement reads

“This will affect remaining events tonight and on August 10…. “

Photo: Instagram/@lamiez_holworthy

Furthermore, fans have shown concern since the news  became public. There have been several messages of support and good. wishes  shared online. Teboho Matima tweeted:

“Wish you a speedy recovery soon 🙏 our entertainer”

However, Lamiez’s management has not disclosed additional medical information. They request for understanding saying:

“We kindly ask that her privacy be respected.. .”

The entertainer’s temporary break from work shows the uncertainty that can come with an emergency medical situation. Despite having a busy professional calendar, her aim is  recovering from the surgery.

Continue Reading

Trending